JIKIMU COMMUNITY INITIATIVE
Jikimu Community Initiative is a fully registered voluntary community based organization that works as a group of small scale holders in Gatundu North. It mainly focuses at enhancing abundant life through increased food security, financial freedom, self-reliance and sustainable economic empowerment among the group members. The organization also seeks to expand its services to other vulnerable families in areas of education, public health and drug-free society campaign within the larger community. The main purpose of the organization is to create a poverty free society where men, women and children enjoy abundant life that is economically, socially and psychologically stable.
In this respect, the organization has, over the previous days, enhanced economic growth and self-reliance among the members and the larger community. The organization has, therefore, embarked on various capacity building activities to the larger community such as bakery, detergent making, dress-making, computer training, mandazi making, banana, arrow root, and sweet potato drying and fresh juice making among others. The organization also empowers its group members by adopting diverse small scale agricultural practices such as poultry farming, pig farming, rabbit keeping and small scale business enterprises among others.
Impact of the Jikimu Projects
- They capacity building program has been able to provide basic skills in computer training, bakery, weaving and bead work among others.
- The group has mobilized the members in establishing various economic empowerment projects such as poultry, dairy goat, pig and rabbit keeping in small scale.
- The group has mobilized the members towards common saving program that enable them to get loans from various microfinances.
- The education program has been effective in providing basic psychosocial counseling services to many school-going children and parents.
- The drug-free campaign program has been able to carry out vigorous drug sensitization program among the youth and men who have been addicts of illicit brews.
Our current Project with the group
The group, through the help of Initiative Africa Foundation has acquired egg laying poultry. The group targets to rear 500 birds and hope that after duration of six months, they shall be in a sound position to generate net income from sale eggs of average 35,000 per month. The income will be used to facilitate the capacity building projects as well as other extension services to the larger community.